"Life may not be replete with the moments that pause your soul, the vivid memories of which cause your heart to beat differently, or make it hard to swallow. And all the better. Much of the beauty of those moments lies in their rarity -- in the awe of being in the right place, at the right time, a partaker in coincidence. And in finding a reason to believe in fate..."

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Dr. Love Kuno

Ironic Story: one minute I'm dispensing love advice to seven grown men, whose questions range from the absurd ("Bakit ang paa ng babae hindi nadudumihan? Bakit ang paa ng lalaki laging maallikabok?") to the obvious ("Bakit ang tagal niyong mga babae mag-banyo? Saka bakit lagi kayong sama-sama pag nagpupunta dun? Ano bang meron sa loob ng ladies' room?"). Most of the answers would have seemed common sensical, so even without valid personal experience on the "love" angle I was stereotyped as an expert on the matter.

Barely several minutes later, I found myself face-to-face with an old ghost I haven't seen in what seems like years. I was ecstatic of course, but as the minutes passed we were trapped in this big awkward silence. We ran out of small talk, and even worse, he made a pass at my friend--in my face! Kamusta nman un???

There were some moments when I saw him glimpse in my direction. Or he'd say to his friends, 'Gladys lives in Pasig, right?' and we'd share a smile because I know we both remembered when he used to fetch me from the office and bring me home. The teasing from his barkada was still there: 'Gladys, punta ka nman dito sabi ni --'; 'Pumayat ka daw ah sabi ni --... seksi na sha!' Some things never change--there's never really a dull moment when I'm with them. :-)

We had wonderful memories, and in those silent moments I remembered them all fondly and wished with all my heart that I could bring things back the way they used to be. I think, more than the petty jealousy, what frustrates me more are those little things that makes me still hope we have a chance to make this work the second time around--little details that I get from his friends, not from him. The fact that he himself remains so cold and aloof, and maybe ilang, still holds that maybe he's really not just that into me (yup, Greg's voice rings constantly in my ears!). All along, talagang pinaasa lang niya ako. (yuck, ang drama...ewww... haha!)

And I had all that figured out after crying my eyes out to Milo and Benson, and after a fitful night's sleep. How come we can give advice so easily to others, yet remain so clueless and helpless when we become the subject matter? Oh well, so much for being the love expert no?

0 comments: