"Life may not be replete with the moments that pause your soul, the vivid memories of which cause your heart to beat differently, or make it hard to swallow. And all the better. Much of the beauty of those moments lies in their rarity -- in the awe of being in the right place, at the right time, a partaker in coincidence. And in finding a reason to believe in fate..."

Friday, July 28, 2006

Me Sign Books Pretty One Day

David Sedaris and "my Melvin"
Went to my first book signing yesterday! I'm so starstruck with David, even I'm probably his most recent fan. Unfortunately I only came in around 6ish (thanks to Unilab's compressed workweek sched!) so I got number 57 instead. Lots of cute guys who attended though, surprisingly, but I had to check if they were really cute guys-- my Maximo Radar was ringing off the hook all night!
David was mean and sarcastic as usual... my kinda guy! He even called Makati Cinema Square, "a mall with cancer"! haha! He read the Easter Bunny Chapter in Me Talk Pretty (good thing that was the book I read, I can relate!) before proceeding to sign from his hordes of fans. Good thing the line was not too crazy like Neil Gaiman's so I was able to wait a good two hours before my turn.. not too bad right?
Funny story: while waiting for my turn in line, I could hear the guy in front of me (#56) telling David his name was Melvin, and David saying incredulously "Your name is Melvin?!?! What kind of name is that?!?!" I smiled to keep myself from laughing. True enough, when it was my turn to identify myself, he had the same reaction: "Your name is Gladys?!?! Now that's a name I don't hear much everyday." And then his eyes popped out, and I could almost see the light buulb flash above his head: "You know, that guy ahead of you, he's a doctor and you're in pharma, and I think you'd be perfect for each other. Besides, your names are both weird." I wanted to stalk Melvin right after the event! I think I giggled and laughed the whole time while he asked whether I lived in a village, and I recommended that he see UP and the Ikot Jeepneys and the Fishballs. It was laugh trip all the way :-)
When I opened my book to see what he wrote, I can't help but laugh out loud:
"To Gladys,
I have a good feeling about you and Melvin.
David Sedaris"
Nice one David. I now have a celebrity matchmaker! Hahaha!

0 comments: