"Life may not be replete with the moments that pause your soul, the vivid memories of which cause your heart to beat differently, or make it hard to swallow. And all the better. Much of the beauty of those moments lies in their rarity -- in the awe of being in the right place, at the right time, a partaker in coincidence. And in finding a reason to believe in fate..."

Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Before Sunset

Before Sunset Posted by Hello

Watched BEFORE SUNSET tonight with Eds... long-awaited sequel to Before Sunrise. Loved the first film! One of the most romantice films I've watched... full of heart...honest and soulful. Chemistry between the two actors seemed very real... it almost made me want to go to Vienna to meet my own "stranger" as well! Of course, it doesn't hurt that the view was spectacular either.. I think I would really want to go to Vienna on my AIESEC traineeship!

No surprise though that I immediately went to search the Net for spoilers to this sequel. Too bad all the reviews seemed to "hate" the film... they said it did not do justice to the first one. So, having carried all those critiques in my mind, I set out to watch this film without too much expectations.. but still with the excitement knowing i'm in for a different treat this time...

Like the original, Before Sunset was all talk (I applaud the actors for being able to memorize all those lines in just one loooooooong take!)... dissecting each issue related to the plot and the character's history, as well as anything else under the sun. I saw how their characters have grown (or so they assume they did!) but also how much they still referred back to memories in their first encounter..."that one night stand". (Love Julie Deply's sultry voice!) I thought it would actually bring closure to them both, but what happened was that you as an avid follower of their story actually became hungry for more. It was "bitin" in all sense of the word--but knowing the writers, I think that the ending was just right for the theme they were capitalizing on. Not everyone can appreciate this film, I know (I'm sure my mother won't!). But for romantics like me who believe that there is hope for finding love out there... or for giving lost loves a second chance... this movie's definitely worth seeing (and getting a pirated DVD copy of so I can dissect it some more! hehe Ü)

0 comments: