"Life may not be replete with the moments that pause your soul, the vivid memories of which cause your heart to beat differently, or make it hard to swallow. And all the better. Much of the beauty of those moments lies in their rarity -- in the awe of being in the right place, at the right time, a partaker in coincidence. And in finding a reason to believe in fate..."

Monday, October 25, 2004

The Muse

New book: His 'N' Hers Posted by Hello
Bought my first modern novel today... I always meant to buy one. I don't know why I wasn't able to pursue it seriously before, I ended up walking away empty handed from the bookstore. I don't know either why I decided to get a book already, and why this book to be exact. I know I've browsed over its plot summary before during my nth trips to the general fiction section. But for some reason, I was drawn to buy it (even if it was quite expensive). But in the end, my 500 bucks was worth spending---I love the book! I'm actually inspired to start another collection (right after my historical romance novels phase) to jumpstart my dream writing project as well...

The book I bought was by Mike Gayle (my new muse) titled "His 'N' Hers"--story about having a closer look at relationships, what happens after the honeymooning stage (read: trying to make it work), how couples actually get closure after separation blues, and going after second chances. The story of my life, right? Ü What's surprising is how eerily familiar this author's writing style is--he writes everything in detail (just like girls swap gossip stories among friends) and he's quite adept and credible at being able to shift from the guy's to the girl's POV, creating an weave of short "blogs" which transpired in a period of eight years. That is how I usually write as well, though I have miles and miles to go before I perfect that latter skill… Have to understand how guys' minds work first.... which is actually next to impossible! hehe Ü

What struck me most was how he was able to chronicle all those "special moments" in the relationship--most authors would have stopped at the "I love you part" and you're left to assume that the rest would be a "happily ever after". In a way, he satisfied that "hunger" of mine to actually see what goes on in a relationship after the courtship and romance sort of fades into being comfortable and at ease with each other....

Reading this book was actually a blessing for me... earlier during the day I just found out that among all our cousins (all 40ish) of us, I’m the only one legally capable who’s not in coupledom yet. It’s really sad… I used to make the excuse that even my older cousins don’t have relationships yet, so it’s ok for me since I’m still young anyway. Now, they’re blissfully happy, and my younger cousins have their own puppy loves as well! It’s like when God showered love and boyfriends/girlfriends into the world, I was busy still dissecting my own lack of it to catch even one! Not that I wasn't able to get a little piece of action, it's just that I don't want to settle for anything else. Superficial me still cares for what other people might think... which is both a major factor and hindrance as well. It made me remember how lonely I really was, and how much I longed for someone special in my life. After finishing the book, however, I realized that maybe, if God intended for me to find that someone, He will give him to me in time. Even if he was in my past, or if I have yet to discover him in my future, then time can only tell. It might take days, months or even years--all I have to do wait and enjoy what I have right now. Kung kayo, kayo talaga. If He wills it though that I remain in single blessedness, so be it. Maybe my life's purpose is really somewhere else... Ü

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Finding the right person is not an easy task. And I think, it shouldn't be a task at all. It takes intuition and a lot of faith to decide to push through or seek another. Finding the right person to love is like finding a needle in a haystack; it is a hard and prolonged search. However, it will all be worth it in the end, because the person might be the soul mate with whom you can spend your life.